THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Want To See More Deer Part 3

Want To See More Deer
Part 3
" Cleanliness"

We should know by now that a deer’s nose is his best defense against locating a hunter. Even after all the articles and talk about it on the "Outdoor Chanel", hunters still show up at 5:00 a.m. with the remnant smell of cologne from the night before "AMAZING". The Denning household is right now going through a major transformation for the upcoming deer season. I have been though all the stages of deer hunting for the past 30 years and scent control has come a long way. In the early 80's I would place my camo in a garbage bag and bury it in the back yard and would only uncover it the day of the hunt. Then for years I would leave my camo on the clothesline all hunting season .I found out how quick clothes can rot. We would also dust ourselves down with baking soda to help absorb the scent off our clothes . I have even taken baths and brushed my teeth with baking soda. Yes, all of these are " Old School" hunting tricks to help keep down human sent.
Now there are products on the market to help with keeping us as scent free as possible. Now back to the Denning Household Transformation. Last night Donna and I went to our local Bass-Pro Shop to purchasing Sent-Away Soap, Shampoo, Hair Conditioner, Deodorant,. Hair Spray and Scent -Away Spray. Our transformation begins in our bathroom "All"the nice smell body soaps from Victoria Secrets must go. Your shower needs to become a protected area from smelly jells and stuff. I am sure glad my wife is a hunter!!!!! Ya’ll may have a hard time convincing your wives the importance of this transformation,. Ha-Ha. We also began washing our clothes - "All Our Clothes", Towels, Bed Sheets, any thing that may have a scent on it ,including the dog, not just our camo in sent free detergent. Then I hung our camo outside this morning and tonight we will place them in an airtight plastic bag. They will stay there till we begin bow hunting next week in Kentucy.You may ask what about a cover scent. I know there are many products out there that help to mask or even keep down your human scent. Some work and I use them ,but I would rather use the scent’s from the natural surrounding. If I am hunting around pine trees, then I will break off a pine branch and rub it on my camo. When hunting around cows, I purposely step into a cow pile to help mask my scent. I have even placed my clothes in an old corn sack if I know I will be hunting around a corn field. I hunted a burned area once in Richloam Management Area in Florida and wiped down my camo with smut from the burn and had does around me all afternoon. You may say this is extreme and I would agree with you, but to see more deer you need to be extreme !!! Want to see more deer? Begin today with how you clean up for your next deer hunt.

0 comments: