THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Monday, August 3, 2009

Making The Adjustment

Making The Adjustments
My Dad purchased me my first high powered rifle when I was 18 years old. It was a used Marlin 30-30, and I mean used. It looked like a Mac truck had run it over not once, but several times. Noo matter, it was mine and I was proud of it. It had a Weaver 3x9 scope mounted on it, and I thought I had now become the ultimate deer hunter. Till then, I had been hunting with a Sears and Robuck pump 12 gage shotgun. So you can now understand why I was so proud of that gun. Back in those day’s we would road hunt, a practice I have long given up. On this particular day, I backed my 1979 Bronco under an oak tree limb overhanging the road. I climbed up on top of my Bronco with my "New To Me" old 30-30. Some time had passed when a nice Florida six-point steped out at about 100 yards. He gave me great side shot as he steped into the dirt road. I took careful aim and pulled the trigger. To my surprise he was still standing. I shot several more times before he jumped the fence and into the woods, never to be seen again. After returning to my Dad’s camp, it did not take me long to figure out what went wrong. I had never checked the scope !!!! It was not just off but "was way" off !!!!
As Christians ( I know this to be true for myself), we get so busy with life, that we find ourselves not quite hitting the mark God has for us. God has a perfect plan for our lives, but we just don’t slow down long enough to figure out what it is. It is always good to stop and spend time with the Master, after all, He created you and wants the best for you. We all need a little adjustment in our Christian walk every once in a while. By the way, I still have that old 30-30 (now in Retirement) and since that day it has taken it’s share of both deer and hogs.
Scripture For The Month:
"Turn My Eyes Away From Worthless Things; Preserve My Life According To Your Word."
Psalms 119 :37
Thought For The Month:
Just as I needed to make the adjustments on my scope, God may want to make some adjustments in our lives.
Hunting Tip Of The Month:
Always sight your rifle in before the season and then again several weeks into the season. The cost of a few bullets could be the difference between bringing home a trophy or not.
Your’s In Christ,
Mike Denning, Minister Of Music At Glynwood Baptist Church

2 comments:

Scott said...

I LOVE THESE DEVOTIONS. Great boost for a tough week.

Autauga Creek said...

Thanks Scott !!!!It has been a tough week...